Advertising

Monday, May 14, 2007

CHEENA MUSIC MAKING PT.2

They say you can’t teach an old dog any new tricks.
That’s what they say.
I’ve been a songwriter for more than 30 years. And after all that time, one tends to follow certain patterns and formulas when writing songs. All songwriters do this – listen to your favourite writer and you will discover this easily.
As faithful readers are aware, I am trying to reinvent myself as a Chinese songwriter! Under the patient tutelage of HYR, I have been discovering that certain features of my songwriting which may not be suitable for the Chinese music market (surprise!) and really it’s all about changing mindsets and methods.
Basically, I thought it would be easy. Heh! Not so.
And that has been the exciting part – the challenge!
Thinking seriously about HYR’s feedback has made me analyze my own songwriting and have arrived at some unflattering conclusions.
And no, they’re not for public consumption!

No comments: