Advertising

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

CHEENA MUSIC MAKING

For what seems like the longest time, I’ve wanted to break into the Mandopop/Cantopop markets as a songwriter – or what HYR eloquently describes as the “Cheena” music market. I signed up with Touch Publishing with the late Ng Guan Seng for that exact purpose but for some reason it never worked out – probably my stubbornness of refusing to write songs specifically for the market, insisting that he convert my existing English songs.
Then, One Leg Kicking came along and there was even a Cheena version of My One & Only (with Mandarin lyrics by someone Murmur Music arranged – sorry but I really don’t know who it was – and sung by Sharon Au) that didn’t do anything. My feeling was that if my most commercial song didn’t stand a chance then might as well give up.
But meeting HYR has of course, changed my thinking.
I asked HYR how I would go about presenting a new song to a Chinese lyricist and he gave me a few tips. But key to him was “commercial potential” – the hooks etc.
I mean, the man should know right?
… I’ve written a few that may be right but as I got a little nervy about sending HYR just any old crap and ruining my cred, I thought I better re-look at those tunes, fine tune and buff them up for the big audition… will keep you all posted of the outcome.
Is this what American Idol feels like…?

No comments: