Advertising

Monday, May 21, 2007

COMPASS DINNER 2007

I've been a member of COMPASS for quite a few years now but I've never been to one of these. But seeing as HYR was receiving an award (Top local Chinese pop song) and that Ngak would be performing, I thought last night would be a great time to turn up finally.

The missus and I arrived at around 6.15pm, registered and were assigned a table waaay to the back. Said hi to Yu Xuan (who sang backing vocals at SG day) and Ngak came along, poor guy, still under the weather but having to perform HYR's winning song. The man's a real trouper!

Then in a bizarre moment, I introduced the missus to Jia Hui and Xiaohan (HYR's partner in FM) and she burst out with "Wah! So young!" Now what is that supposed to mean? Is it a compliment to the missus or an insult to poor ol' me? What did I ever do to you, Xiaohan? The missus was pleased and asked me if I had put Xiaohan up to it? Mmmm?

Anyway... also met Rani and Colin... and settled down to the event and to the Chinese dinner...

Overall, the event was probably too long but the performances were interesting - from Heritage to Corrinne May to HYR/Ngak - there were definite highlights to remember. Particular interest was an award given to veteran Singaporean rock band Heritage - whom I'd first seen as a teenager at the old National Theatre in 1979 and Atwell Jansen talking about the band being "underground rock". He was absolutely right of course as rock music was labelled as "yellow culture" and all but driven underground by the authorities in the 70s. A mistake acknowledged by our esteemed MM stemming from a failure to undertand or grasp pop culture. So is the recognition of Heritage by COMPASS a changing of attitudes. Could be. I hope so. Remains to be seen...

On a lighter note, the missus had spotted Jay Lim (from Singapore Idol fame) at the dinner and had me take a photo of him and her - not my night at all! Thanks, Xiaohan!

Also met old law school friend (who is pretty much a big shot in the CISAC) and I mentioned my current venture in Chinese music and he promptly ran off to get me Billy Koh's contact. A good contact to explore further ...

Anyways, after all that, the missus and the "cradle-snatcher" still had stomach for Ice-cream prata and 'Bomb' at Prata House at Upper Thomson...

and... oh yeah... saw Kewei there as well... guess we must really work together eh?