Advertising

Sunday, July 08, 2007

GREAT SPY LIGHTS UP THE WATERFRONT

I looked at Joan and shouted "They're gonna be big!"
Alright, some context. It's midway through GSE's awesome set at Rampage the Durian - I believe Class "A" Love Affair was being delivered as a hundred or so kids were pogoing (a couple body-surfing, give or take) - and a sense of inevitability began to grip me. That conviction I felt the 1st time I watched GSE in action at the Singapore Day rehearsals at Dragonfly.
"They're gonna be big!"
No escaping destiny, I guess...
Late Night Request. The Great Decay. A Kind of Love. Flower Show Riots. Siti in the City.
The list goes on and on... the soundtrack of Singapore rock circa 2007.
I am begininng to write my 1st profile on the new bands breaking through at Baybeats 2007 and deep in my heart, I want so much for them to grow up and mature in a Singapore music scene that is thriving and of regional and international repute, sending our bands around the world.
Is the Great Spy Experiment where this Golden Age of Singapore rock begins?
Could be... I pray so...
Yet, it's all about attitude because the GSE is not just about great musicianship and great songs but about faith, humility and good old fashioned hard work. I can tell you that each one of them - Mag, Khai, Fandy, Song and Saiful have put much on the line to be where they are right now and deserve everything that's coming to them. I consider it a privilege to call them my friends.
On a special night on the Waterfront, the Pinholes played with their usual panache and incorporated a few new songs into the set and even covered Etc's Handphones on the Dancefloor with guest singer, Ben Harrison, and it was fab to see Ben in his element...
These are truly exciting times for the Singapore music scene and I have the feeling that this is only the beginning...
... and there's more...

1 comment:

Lil'rampage said...

thanks for being there and showing your support!