Advertising

Sunday, August 26, 2007

MUSING ON A SUNDAY AFTERNOON

So let's talk about Friday.
Try as I might, I could not get out of the office till about 6.25pm. Thank goodness, I work rather close to the Esplanade so I made it to the Singapore Art Cafe in good time for a quick rehearsal with Jon. Was introduced to Syltra and Andrew (whom I met before at Timbre) and Jon and I ran through the songs in double quick time.
Friday nights at SAC is jammin'nights from 7 - 9 pm. Mainly covers, I must stress, as Syltra, Andrew and a group called Soul Sessions covered different songs. Andrew and friends delivered smooth jazz which was a treat. Andrew has a silky larynx with cool stage presence - potential! Syltra hits the high notes rather well but overall, okay.
I'm sorry but I want to hear original songs which tell me something about the songwriters and the bands. Covers reveal nothing...
Naturally, I was the odd one out (as usual), with my shiny grey hair and my own songs but glad to report that the audience appeared to enjoy my set. Trouble is, my voice was in bad shape, didn't warm it up properly and I personally thought the vocals were awful.
Setlist -
Feel the Same Way
Beautiful
Here
My One & Only
Conclusion - I need to perform more, whether solo acoustic or with a band. I actually want to perform more cos since coming back from New York, the crowd responses have been very encouraging... yay! So who knows, maybe a regular spot at SAC? Perhaps...
Again, music at Singapore night spots invariably means covers. And it's a totally different crowd and musicians you get from so-called indie gigs. Kind of folks you might get at Timbre, Wala or Balaclava etc - looking for a good time and live bands belting out familiar material.
*Sigh*
After all these years, we're still no closer to a Singaporean audience that will accept songs made in Singapore. Sad. But I refuse to be discouraged... in three years, this will all change...I believe...
If only, everyone involved or interested in English music in Singapore could get together to support each other, we could have the vibrant music scene, we all crave for...
Weekend has been quiet on the gig front. Decided to stay at home to catch up with my CD review pile up. Deadline for Pop Culture Press is looming so I sent off about eight reviews so hopefully that keep them happy for now...
...man, I wish I do more for the Singapore music scene...but there's more...

No comments: