Advertising

Monday, January 28, 2008

THE POLICE - LIVE IN SINGAPORE - 1 MORE WEEK!

Yes, boys and girls, in less than a week, my missus and I (along with many other Police fans) will get to see Sting, Andy and Stewart entertain us with their unique brand of rock music.
I can barely believe that it's happening next week.
I remember the first time I ever listened to the Police. It must have been 1979 and I picked up two pirated cassettes (hey, it was 1979). One was the Scorpions' In Trance and the other, Regatta De Blanc, the Police's sophomore album.
Funnily enough, I didn't like the Police at first and found the Scorpions more appealing. Hah!
It didn't take long for repeated listens to change that perspective! And that was the beginning of a love affair that lasts to date.
And... Regatta De Blanc remains my favourite Police album of all time - yes, even when set against Synchronicity. Why? Well, it probably contains the most consistent bunch of top notch songs on any Police album. Message in a Bottle, Walking on the Moon, Bed's Too Big Without You, Bring on the Night, Does Everyone Stare, the awesome title track and so on. Each track was unique and could stand alone on its own, even so-called novelty tracks like Copeland's On Any Other Day crackles today.
That said, most of the Police's discography is a pretty no-dud zone (well, yes, there are a few - Summer's Behind My Camel - what's that about?) and thus, the Message in a Box retrospective is rather essential, not only for Police fans, but for any serious music scholars out there.
But if I had to list my top ten Police tracks, it would have to be...

10. Regatta De Blanc
9. Spirits in the Material World
8. King of Pain
7. Walking on the Moon
6. Driven to Tears
5. De Do Do Do De Da Da Da
4. Roxanne
3. Synchronicity II
2. Message in a Bottle
1. Don't Stand So Close To Me

What's yours?

No comments: